Professional (Negotiated) Travel
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 01 September 2021 16:50 01 September 2021
Any teacher who is interested in receiving a travel allowance from negotiated funds to attend professional meetings must submit an application for review by the Professional Travel Committee.
Professional Travel Deadlines:
Applications must be received by Staff Development at IPC before Noon on these dates
|Deadline for Application||For Travel in the following months|
|Thursday, September 09, 2021||November, December 2021, January, and February 2022|
|Thursday, October 14, 2021||December 2021, January, February, and March 2022|
|Wednesday, November 10, 2021||January, February, March, April, and May 2022|
|Thursday, December 09, 2021||February, March, April, and May 2022|
|Thursday, January 13, 2022||March, April, May, and June 2022|
|Thursday, February 10, 2022||April, May, June, and July 2022|
|Thursday, March 10, 2022||May, June, July, and August 2022|
|Thursday, April 14, 2022||June, July, August, and September 2022|
|Thursday, May 12, 2022||June, July, August, September, October, and November 2022|
As requests for travel are reviewed, the following criteria will be considered in making recommendations for approved teacher-initiated travel:
- Any/all previous travel at District expense will be considered.
- Consideration will not be given to staff who have traveled using Professional (Negotiated) Travel funding in the last three (3) years.
- The applicant must be in at least his/her third year of employment with the District.
- The Professional Travel Committee will not consider requests for substitute days only.
- The cost and location of a particular professional meeting will be a factor. If travel expenses are capped, the total expected cost might not be covered.
- Consideration may be given to discipline areas involved in District curriculum studies. The relationship of the meeting to the teaching assignment will be considered.
- No more than two teachers from a building will be authorized to attend the same professional conference.
- Approval for teacher-initiated travel will not be granted during parent-teacher conferences &/or the last week of school.
- Professional travel funds will not be used for co-curricular activities.
- Travel will not be used for college credit hours.
- The applicant should not be in his/her last year of employment with the District.
- The number of days absent during the current school year will be considered.
- Travel will not be approved after a participant has attended the conference.
- Travel will not be used to attend conferences to receive training when trainers are available within the District.
Travel requests must support the District vision, mission, goals, and strategies.
All decisions regarding approvals and denials are final.
Do not apply for funds to travel if your attendance is dependent upon another teacher in the District being approved for the same meeting.
Consideration may be given to applicants who are involved in future conventions, have speaking obligations, or are elected officers in their discipline.
Travel funds shall be used to pay registration fees at the membership rate. Travel funds will not be used to pay membership dues.
Travel funds will not be used to pay for pre or post workshops or conferences. Travel funds will not be used to pay for any extra or special conferences/classes within the Regular Conference.
Travel funds will not be used to pay for meals within the boundaries of the Sioux Falls School District.
Travel funds will not be used to pay for transportation within Sioux Falls, such as to and from Sioux Falls Airport.
Travel funds will not be used to pay for checked baggage for travel 3 nights or less.
No hourly pay or exchange time will be awarded for professional travel.
Professional Travel Committee Members:
- Lindy Bell
- Teacher at Patrick Henry Middle School
- Michele Blair
- Teacher at Washington High School
- Christine Griebel
- Teacher at Sonia Sotomayor Elementary School
- Brenda Harold
- Travel Specialist at Central Services
- Preston Kooima
- Assistant Principal at Washington High School
- Patti Pannell
- Principal at Renberg Elementary School
- Dr. Teresa Boysen
- Assistant Superintendent of Academic Achievement at IPC
- Velina Onate-Nelson
- Clerical for Staff Development,Federal Programs, and Libraries
|Professional Travel Committee Meeting Dates||Location||Time|
|Tuesday, September 14, 2021||IPC Center Room 3||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Tuesday, October 19, 2021||IPC Center Room 3||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Tuesday, November 16, 2021||IPC Center Room 2||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Tuesday, December 14, 2022||IPC Center Room 3||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Tuesday, January 18, 2022||IPC Center Room 3||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Tuesday, February 15, 2022||IPC Center Room 3||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Tuesday, March 15, 2022||IPC Center Room 3||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Tuesday, April 19, 2022||IPC Center Room 3||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Tuesday, May 17, 2022||IPC Center Room 3||4:15 to 5:15 pm|