Professional (Negotiated) Travel
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 25 August 2020 15:10 25 August 2020
Any teacher who is interested in receiving a travel allowance from negotiated funds to attend professional meetings must submit an application for review by the Professional Travel Committee.
2020-2021 Professional Travel Deadlines:
Applications must be received by Staff Development at IPC before Noon on any of the following dates:
|Deadline for Application||For Travel in the following months|
|Friday, September 11, 2020||November, December 2020 and January, February 2021|
|Friday, October 16, 2020||December 2020 and January, February, March 2021|
|Thursday, November 13, 2020||January, February, March, April, May 2021|
|Friday, December 11, 2020||February, March, April, May 2021|
|Friday, January 15, 2021||March, April, May, June 2021|
|Friday, February 12, 2021||April, May, June, July 2021|
|Friday, March 12, 2021||May, June, July, August 2021|
|Friday, April 16, 2021||June, July, August, September 2021|
|Friday, May 14, 2021||June, July, August, September, October, November 2021|
As requests for travel are reviewed, the following criteria will be considered in making recommendations for approved teacher-initiated travel:
- Any/all previous travel at District expense will be considered.
- Consideration will not be given to staff who have traveled using Professional (Negotiated) Travel funding in the last three (3) years.
- The applicant must be in at least his/her third year of employment with the District.
- The Professional Travel Committee will not consider requests for substitute days only.
- The cost and location of a particular professional meeting will be a factor. If travel expenses are capped, the total expected cost might not be covered.
- Consideration may be given to discipline areas involved in District curriculum studies. The relationship of the meeting to the teaching assignment will be considered.
- No more than two teachers from a building will be authorized to attend the same professional conference.
- Approval for teacher-initiated travel will not be granted during parent-teacher conferences &/or the last week of school.
- Professional travel funds will not be used for co-curricular activities.
- Travel will not be used for college credit hours.
- The applicant should not be in his/her last year of employment with the District.
- The number of days absent during the current school year will be considered.
- Travel will not be approved after a participant has attended the conference.
- Travel will not be used to attend conferences to receive training when trainers are available within the District.
Travel requests must support the District vision, mission, goals, and strategies.
All decisions regarding approvals and denials are final.
Do not apply for funds to travel if your attendance is dependent upon another teacher in the District being approved for the same meeting.
Consideration may be given to applicants who are involved in future conventions, have speaking obligations, or are elected officers in their discipline.
Travel funds shall be used to pay registration fees at the membership rate. Travel funds will not be used to pay membership dues.
Travel funds will not be used to pay for pre or post workshops or conferences. Travel funds will not be used to pay for any extra or special conferences/classes within the Regular Conference.
Travel funds will not be used to pay for meals within the boundaries of the Sioux Falls School District.
Travel funds will not be used to pay for transportation within Sioux Falls, such as to and from Sioux Falls Airport.
Travel funds will not be used to pay for checked baggage for travel 3 nights or less.
No hourly pay or exchange time will be awarded for professional travel.
2020-2021 Professional Travel Committee Members:
- Lindy Bell
- Teacher, Patrick Henry Middle School
- Christine Griebel
- Teacher, Sotomayor & Hawthorne Elementary Schools
- Brenda Harold
- Travel Specialist, Central Services
- Preston Kooima
- Assistant Principal, Washington High School
- Patti Pannell
- Principal, Renberg Elementary School
- SFED Member to be determined
- Dr. Teresa Boysen
- Assistant Superintendent of Academic Achievement at IPC
- Velina Onate-Nelson
- Clerical, Staff Development/Federal Programs/Libraries
|Professional Travel Committee Meeting Dates||Location||Time|
|Wednesday, September 16, 2020||IPC Center Room 3||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Wednesday, October 21, 2020||IPC Center Room 3||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Wednesday, November 18, 2020||IPC Center Room 3||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Wednesday, December 16, 2021||IPC Center Room 4||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Wednesday, January 20, 2021||IPC Center Room 4||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Wednesday, February 17, 2021||IPC Center Room 4||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Wednesday, March 17, 2021||IPC Center Room 4||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Wednesday, April 21, 2021||IPC Center Room 4||4:15 to 5:15 pm|
|Wednesday, May 19, 2021||IPC Center Room 4||4:15 to 5:15 pm|